Leeds Beckett resources
This page highlights resources for Leeds Beckett University staff and students.
Resources for Leeds Beckett Staff
Leeds Beckett Race Equality Staff Forum – Staff from the university’s forum have consulted extensively on this website (particularly its previous chair Professor Kevin Hylton). The forum meets 4 times a year, has an annual, popular, race lecture in October and other events. All staff are welcome to attend. More information can be found here.
Psychology & Education resources from the library – Kirsty Bower, psychology’s academic librarian, has compiled a list of for psychology staff of resources on curriculum diversity. These be accessed here.
Leeds Beckett University Student Resources
- BAME Ambassador network: https://www.leedsbeckettsu.co.uk/makechange/activismcampaigns/bame [An impressive network and hub for BAME students set up by Sherry Iqbal (former BAME rep and Education Officer for 2018/19) which has directly initiated anti-rascist actions across campus. These include auditing reading lists for their global representativeness, gaining representation at all academic and school committee levels for BAME people, pushing for change to hardship, bursary and scholarship funds so that they cater more to BAME students, mandating that all admissions and recruitment staff go through unconscious bias training & planning some fantastic workshops in 2020].
- International students network: https://www.leedsbeckettsu.co.uk/groups/international-students-network-bb69
- Afro Carribean society: https://www.leedsbeckettsu.co.uk/groups/afro-caribbean-society–5
- Asian Students Christian https://www.leedsbeckettsu.co.uk/groups/asian-students-christian-fellowship
- Café Lingo (language swap café) https://www.leedsbeckettsu.co.uk/groups/cafe-lingo
- Hindu Society https://www.leedsbeckettsu.co.uk/groups/hindu-society–5
- international students society https://www.leedsbeckettsu.co.uk/groups/international-students–3
- Islamic society https://www.leedsbeckettsu.co.uk/groups/isoc
- Libyan society https://www.leedsbeckettsu.co.uk/groups/libyan-society–2
- Nigerian society https://www.leedsbeckettsu.co.uk/groups/nigerian-society–4
- NUS Black students (Black meaning BME) https://www.nus.org.uk/en/who-we-are/how-we-work/black-students/
Students at Leeds Beckett University can also suggest books, journal subscriptions or DVDs for the library to purchase by using Beckett Books Extra. This is especially useful if you know of research by a BME author or on an anti-racist topic that is not covered in your curriculum but could usefully be.